Last week, I was lucky enough to attend the 2013 BSR Conference: The Power of Networks. It was an excellent learning experience – one that was full of the powerful comments made by inspiring speakers over the course of the week. I took down my top 10, and here they are:
- “Saving the world is a team sport.” Jim Berk, CEO, Participant Media.
- “Pie charts are good for talking about pies – other than that they are not that valuable.” Joe Cardillo, Project and Business Development, Visual.ly.
- “Success comes from managing with human nature, not against it.” David Steiner, President and CEO, Waste Management.
- “60% of the BSR Conference speakers this year are women.” Aron Cramer, President and CEO, BSR.
- “Our mission at LinkedIn is to create economic opportunity for every member of the global work force. Economic change is the biggest lever you can pull if you want to make social impact on the world.” Allen Blue, Co-Founder and Vice President, LinkedIn.
- “When we change the way we communicate, we change society.” Clay Shirky, writer, Here Comes Everybody.
- “What do we want our grandchildren to say in 2050? ‘Thank goodness for them?’ or, ‘How could they have been so cruel?” Mary Robinson, President, Mary Robinson Foundation.
- “What is unsustainable for workers is unsustainable for business.” Oliver Niedermaier, Chairman and CEO, Tau Investment Management.
- “For storytelling to work you need both the universal and the individual.” Jonah Sachs, author, Winning the Story Wars.
- “It is not our mission to get people to think in a different way. Just to get them to think.” Jim Berk, CEO, Participant Media.
Title photo courtesy of Bruno Girin.