A couple of weeks ago, I had the great pleasure of attending the “State of Downtown Economic Forum,” an annual gathering of local business leaders and government officials to talk all things Seattle. We took a look at how the city is doing, the challenges it faces, and some of the growth trends in both the city and region as a whole. And there’s a lot of good news — Seattle ranks as:
- The #1 city in the country to find a job
- The fastest growing big city in the U.S.
- The best city for small business job growth
- The nation’s most cultural city, with one major cultural attraction for every 354 people
- The most sustainable city in the United States
- #2 best city for recent college graduates and high-tech job growth
And, in keeping with the popular view of Seattle, we also have the most independent coffee shops per capita. What can we say? We love our coffee.
There’s a lot more great info about the Emerald City in the full report released at the forum. For example, nearly 70 percent of all downtown employees find their way to work via transit, walking, carpool or other ecofriendly methods. That makes Seattle one of only six cities in the U.S. where fewer than half of commuters drive to work alone. You can check out the full economic report here.
Weber Shandwick has been a part of the Seattle community for nearly 20 years, and there has never been a more exciting time to be a Seattleite. The city is humming and we can’t wait to see what’s next.
If you’d like to be a part of this thriving city and the incredible team we’ve built here at Weber Shandwick Seattle, we’re also looking for some good people to join us.